Thursday, September 27, 2012

Teaching Observations

I was able to go and observe Jay Anderson at Vista Heights Jr. High today.  It was so much fun watching and learning how he teaching and how his classroom functions.  It really put some anxiety to rest that i have had about teaching.  I don't know why i had such anxiety, but actually seeing how others teach in a real situation, brought confidence and motivation to me.  I can truly appreciate the effort it takes to capture the attention of middle school kids.  they can't sit still for longer than a minute.  Jay did a very good job of relating to the students while keeping them in line.  once the kids got onto computers to use google sketch up, they were very active in their learning.  from what I gathered the students were taught briefly of some requirements for their project and had to figure out how to do it on their own.  I think that is one of the best ways to learn is by going in head first.  while some students may struggle, teachers can be there to help guide when needed.
I want to be able to get kids motivated to learn by being excited myself, and showing how what I am teaching can help them in their lives.  Teaching and learning with the students is most effective because it lets everyone grow together and when people grow together, exponential learning is achieved.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I remember that when I did my observations and noticed the same thing.. At first the crazy chaos is overwhelming and anxiety provoking. Many of the Jr. High students are much more eager, engaged and hungry for learning than High School students! Because of this it's sometimes incredible crazy chaos! The important thing is that as a teacher, you are able to direct their energy productively.

    ReplyDelete